Thursday, May 15, 2008

Cwn Annwn - Blood of the Djinn EP

I’ve listened to this EP while reading a Spiderman graphic novel. I’ve listened to this EP while eating shrimp and pineapple pizza. I’ve listened to this EP while doing household chores. I’ve listened to this EP while working on my website and writing e-mails. I’ve listened to this EP while reading Classic Rock Magazine. I’ve listened to this EP in a mad dash for work. I’ve also listened to this EP while laying on the sofa with a blanket pulled over my head. And finally I’ve listened to this EP while reading the very impressive press kit. And damn, I’m wowed.

I’ve seen the band perform at Station 4 before and knew they were musically amazing. However, I thought their name (pronounced Coon-uh-noon, think ‘racoons at noon’ as a memory aid) was not a wise choice only because I could never remember how to pronounce it even after I was told and so I came up with memory aid I just mentioned.

Anyway, what really blows me away is the addition of ex-Vile Red singer Julie Schultz. She couldn’t be more perfect for the band and their unique introspective blend of classic metal styles. Her voice is a super smooth blend of charisma, mystery and sublime mystical presence. A surefire win all around so let’s hope they stick with this line-up that also features Jake Stone (drums), Neil James (guitar/vox), Mike Strohkirch (bass/vox) and Harry Rostovtsev (guitars).

As far as the production goes: it is about the best you can expect from a self-financed release, and doesn’t detract from the songwriting at all. Personally, more often than not, I would rather listen to underground sounding releases like
Blood of the Djinn than to the slicked up over mixed affairs of major labels. If you like the NWOBHM era of metal and love the sound of a fantastic female voice you are not going to want to miss this. Get it now.

Previous releases include a 3 song demo (Sept. 2003) and the full-length The Method of Murder.

www.cwnannwn.com

No comments: